Frequently Asked Questions & Health/Safety Info
- What are the dates of this year's summer school?
- June 28-July 30, 2021
- When does registration start? When does registration end?
- Registration starts on February 1, 2021. All registrations should be completed by June 21, 2021. There will be NO onsite registration this year.
- What programs can I register my student for?
- Programs are designed based on the grade the student is entering in the fall.
- What health and safety precautions will be taken in relation to COVID-19?
- Everyone (students, parents, and staff) will need to wear a mask when inside of our school buildings. Masks are not required to be worn when outside. Social distancing will be maximized in classrooms and on fields. Students and staff will be encouraged to wash their hands frequently and hand sanitizer will be available throughout the building.
- If my child tests positive for COVID-19, what steps do I need to take?
During Summer School Hours (8:00 am-3:00 pm): Please call: 203.655.3981 x 2304 to report a positive COVID test.
After 3:00 pm: Please call 203.656.7440 to report a positive COVID test.
Please isolate the positive individual for a full 10 days from the onset of symptoms or the date of a positive test. Identify and notify close contacts about exposure and the need to quarantine according to CDC protocols.
Who is a close contact?
A close contact is an unvaccinated person who was within 6 feet for a cumulative 15 minutes or longer over a 24 hour period of an individual who tests positive for COVID. The contact must have taken place during the 48 hours prior to the COVID positive individual’s onset of symptoms or positive test (whichever occurs first).
How long is quarantine for a close contact?
- 10 days from last exposure without testing (last date of exposure is Day 0)
- 7 days with a negative COVID test on post-exposure day 5 or later (last date of exposure is Day 0)
- Continue to monitor for symptoms for a full 14 days after exposure
- Continue to wear a mask, maintain a 6 foot distance from others, wash hands and avoid crowds
- How will I be notified if my child is a close contact?
- Close contact and quarantine information will be sent out through an email message with a request to confirm receipt and understanding that your child is now in quarantine. The email message will contain important information regarding the date of exposure, dates of quarantine, quarantine practices, testing information. Information about synchronous or asynchronous learning will be sent by your child’s individual teacher. Those who do not respond to the email notification will be contacted by telephone.
- If my child is quarantined, and they have a negative COVID test on day 5 or later, where do I send a copy of the results?
Please email a copy of your child’s negative COVID test results to email@example.com.
- Will a message be sent to the DSS/ESY community about positive cases over the summer?
- Yes. We will continue to be transparent about positive COVID cases during summer school. Messages about positive cases will be sent to all summer school families and staff, within 24 hours of contact tracing completion.
- My student is not familiar with Darien High School. How can I ensure they get from one class to another?
- Parents are welcome to walk their children to classrooms. We also offer a complimentary campus guide program in which high school students are available to walk participants from one class to another. If you are interested in this service, please indicate this during registration (you will be prompted to answer a question about this once you add a class to your cart). When students arrive on campus for their first class of each day, they may meet the Campus Guides in the courtyard.
- What is the refund policy for 2021?
- Reserve your child's spot in a DSS program with confidence! Families making a request by June 7, 2021 will receive a full refund minus a $30 processing fee.
- My student is enrolled in an outdoor camp or class. How do I know which field they are on?
- Field locations for each program are listed on registration receipts and on our website.
- Click here for the field map.
- My student wants to take a DSS course for high school credit. Are there policies on this?
- Darien High School students must received permission from the appropriate department chair before receiving credit for the course. Please read more in the "Awarding Credit for HS Courses" section before enrolling.